Approx. Price: Rs 3,000 / Piece(s)
- 900MHz quad-core Broadcom BCM2836 CPU with 1GB DDR2 RAM
- VideoCore IV 3D graphics core
- 40 pin extended pins - with 27 GPIO pins
- Micro SD slot
- Multiple ports: Four USB ports, full sized HDMI, four pole stereo output and composite video port. CSI camera port and DSI display port
- 10/100 BaseT Ethernet
- Micro-USB power source 5V, 2A
- Dimensions: 85 x 56 x 17mm
The next version of the hugely popular credit card-sized computer, the Raspberry Pi, is available now:
- The Raspberry Pi 2 boosts the board's specs to a quad core processor and 1GB of memory - with the new machine racking up several times the benchmark score of its predecessor, as well as being able to run Windows 10 and Ubuntu.
- "[The improvements] gives us something like six times the processing power and takes Raspberry Pi to the level of performance that makes it genuinely like a PC," said Upton, who is also CEO of Pi Trading, at the launch of the Pi 2 in London this morning.
- " Pi 2 does broaden the addressable market and we're hoping with this product we will start to have people buy them as the second PC in the house. Applications load faster, browsing the web is faster, all of the tools are much better."
- About 4.5 million Raspberry Pis have been sold since the board's release in 2012, and Upton expects to sell three million Pi 2 and B models this year.
- The new board will also be able to support Ubuntu and Windows for the first time, courtesy of the boards' ARM v7 core, with a Snappy Ubuntu Core image available now.
- "We've been working with Microsoft for the past six months to enable Windows 10 on Rapsberry Pi. It runs, I've seen it running, it's pretty cool," said Upton.
- "This is Windows 10 intended for IoT applications and the intention here is to have a device which you can use to build IoT devices," he said.
- "The intention is you can take a Windows 10 application that you can run on Surface, PC, a Windows phone and now Raspberry Pi as well."
- The Raspberry Pi version of Windows 10 will be available to makers for free.
So which tasks will the board perform better compared to the previous generation B ? The new board can run a single-threaded CPU benchmark about 2x faster, the Sunspider benchmark 4x faster, a multi-threaded CPU benchmark like SysBench 6x faster and handle NEON -enabled multicore video codecs more than 20x faster.